Monday, July 17, 2006

An interesting practice

Unlike Mark who has zipped probably through the whole book by now, I've only read the introduction. Several things caught my eye about Bunyan's life but I'll save that until we get there in his own words on his terms. What I do want to talk about is the practice of recording a spiritual autobiography. Owens writes, "Most of these spiritual autobiographies followed a fairly conventional pattern, comprising three major stages: a sinful pre-conversion state, sometimes including providential escapes from danger; a proces of conversion which may be sudden or gradual; and post-conversion trials and resolutions" (xix). Owens also noted that although writers from most denominations contributed to this genre, Baptists and Quakers wrote the most.

So, as good Baptists the assignment is to comment on this post by giving us your spiritual autobiography. Mine will be coming soon but since I'm in the process of moving offices to make room for a nursery I bet one of you can beat me.

Paul

1 comment:

Paul said...

1. Before conversion- thought I was doing pretty good by going to church all the time and only throwing rocks on occassion.
2. Conversion- I struggled for YEARS with my conversion at age 7. I wrote down dates, I prayed prayers, I walked aisles, and did this literally for 10+ years. It wasn't until I really started getting into Scripture (more than character stories and warm fuzzies) that salvation began to make sense both God's side and my own. I believe as a child of 7 I knew what my sin was and was shown my need for the Saivor. It was diligent study of God's word that filled in all the blanks left by Sunday School, camps, sermons, and the like. God's grace purchased for me by Christ has set me free from sin and saved me from wrath.
3. Now- the more I learn about holiness the less holy I feel. The more I learn about grace the more sure I am of my salvation.