Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Bunyan found joy in the words

At the highest points in his life it appears Bunyan cared more for each individual word of Scripture than an overarching theme.

249. Now also I should labour to take the word as God had laid it down, without restraining the natural force of one syllable thereof: O what did I now see in the blessed sixth of John, And him that comes to me, I will in no wise cast out (John 6:37). Now I began to consider myself, that God had a bigger mouth to speak with, than I had a heart to conceive with; I thought also with myself, that he spake not his words in haste, or in an unadvised heat, but with infinite wisdom and judgment, and in very truth and faithfulness (II Samuel 7:28).

264. through this blessed sentence the Lord led me over and over, first to this word, and then to that, and showed me wonderful glory in every one of them. These words also have oft since this time been great refreshment to my spirit. Blessed be God for having mercy on me.

Obviously he understood words make up themes but he tried to let each syllable speak. I wonder how much more healthy dissonance there would be in our own spirits if we let each syllable speak instead of instantly filing it in a category or theme we've concockted. A great deal of his struggle resided with the warnings of Hebrews. How many of us have quickly brushed aside those biting words with "once saved always saved?" I wonder at times if that is the lullaby Satan whispers as he rocks people to sleep.

Let the syllables speak
Paul

1 comment:

Castusfumus said...

OSAS.... hmmm the crucial point is once saved. We must not sell "cheap grace" or give any false concept of anything but genuine salvation in our mission of expansion of His kingdom.
Great words! Thanks