Thursday, August 31, 2006

How to encounter death (part 2)

Bunyan realized in order to encounter death properly he had to be prepared. The first step in preparation was to "pass a sentence of death upon everything that can properly be called a thing in this life." Then,

326. The second was, to live upon God that is invisible; as Paul said in another place, the way not to faint: is to look not at the things that are seen, but at the things that are not seen; for the things that are seen are temporal; but the things that are not seen, they are eternal (II Cor. 4:18)...if I conclude that banishment is the worst, then if death come, I am surprised; so that I see the best way to go through sufferings, is to trust in God through Christ, as touching the world to come; and as touching this world, to count the grave my house, to make my bed in darkness, and to say to corruption, thou are my father, and to the worm, thou are my mother and sister; that is, to familiarize these things to me.

I wonder what Bunyan would have to say about the "Baptist Mistake" article?

1 comment:

Castusfumus said...

I’m going to let Aaron deal with your question on the Baptist Mistake article that Sam posted Saturday August 26, but I will list a few reasons that I have heard when asked, “Why don’t you go to your church?” I would like to start the list now and allow the list to grow that we may better understand as to why folks who are members do not show support for their church family.

1.I get with God when I’m on the golf course and the beauty of just being out.
2.I am in church with I am in the deer stand.
3.I commune with God in nature when I troll in my bass boat.
4.I will not go where there are a bunch of hypocrites (this one miffs me, and then why not go elsewhere?).
5.I don’t like that preacher. (see parenthetical comment above)
6.They don’t have the music that I like.
7.They have music that I don’t like.
8.I did that for many years and it’s just not my thing.