Friday, August 11, 2006

THE POINT OF GRACE

Bunyan now has his theology accurate but yet still struggles with his faith. (200) the tempter again laid at me very sore, suggesting, that neither the mercy of God, nor yet the blood of Christ, did at all concern me, nor could they help me, for my sin; therefore it was but in vain to pray. Yet, thought I, I will pray. In the next paragraph (201) he reflects that this was his point of salvation although it took six more months before he had confidence in that, his faith.
          Through this time he would continue to saturate his mind with
God’s Word to find, and focus upon, My grace is sufficient for thee (206) and also For the scriptures cannot be broken (209). (215) But Satan would greatly labour to pull this promise from me. These internal struggles he calls diverse frames of spirit (212).
          Bunyan’s point of grace comes as he describes: (215) I saw that to come aright, was to come as I was, a vile and ungodly sinner, and to cast myself at the feet of mercy, condemning myself for sin. He then, by the command of God to work out his own salvation with fear and trembling, asks a very rational question as to: “Whether it be possible for any soul that hath indeed sinned the unpardonable sin, yet after that to receive, though but the least true spiritual comfort from God through Christ? He reasons that this could not be and that he had not committed such a heinous crime (220). (222)When I had with much deliberation considered of this matter, and could not but conclude that the Lord had comforted me…I began to take some measure of encouragement.
          It is from this point our friend, Mr. Bunyan’s faith begins to blossom by his continuing study of the Holy Writ.  
         

No comments: