Tuesday, August 29, 2006

How to endure Bunyan style

324. Before I came to prison, I saw what was a coming, and had especially two considerations warm upon my heart; the first was, how to be able to endure, should my imprisonment be long and tedious; the second was, how to be able to encounter death (more on this tomorrow), should that be here my portion. For the first of these, that scripture, Col. 1:11, was great information to me, namely, to pray to God to be strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness: I could seldom go to prayer before I was imprisoned, but for not so little as a year together, this sentence or sweet petition, would as it were thrust itself into my mind, and persuade me that if ever I would go through long-suffering, I must have all patience, especially if I would endure it joyfully.

Bunyan recognized God was preparing him for a task requiring patience and long-suffering with joyfulness. In the less difficult times Bunyan was preparing for the difficult. He knew that if he were to endure with joy he had to have patience.

I think the church in American, as a whole, today lacks patience and joy. To be more specific, I think this pastor lacks patience and joy. In the midst of short-suffering I possess an attitude of self-righteous bitterness. How will I ever endure 12 years of long-suffering imprisonment with all patience and joy if I can't make it joyfully through 3 months of short-suffering freedom?

To prayer, memorization, and meditation!
Paul

No comments: