Wednesday, August 30, 2006

How to encounter death Bunyan style

Yesterday I posted Bunyan's thoughts on how to endure. Now his thoughts on how to encounter death:

325. As to [how to encounter death], that saying, II Cor. 1:9, was of great use unto me, But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we might not trust in ourselves, but in God that raiseth the dead: by this scripture I was made to see that if ever I would suffer rightly, I must first pass a sentence of death upon everything that can properly be called a thing of this life, even to reckon myself, my wife, my children, my health, my enjoyments and all, as dead to me, and myself as dead to them. He that loveth father or mother, son or daughter, more than me, is not worthy of me (Matt. 10:37).

How dead do I count myself to anything? Well, I'm pretty good at counting myself dead to those things I do not enjoy and those people I do not like. I'm pretty horrible at counting myself dead to those things I enjoy and those people I like. Pray my imprisonment does not come soon and my maturation in the faith does!

Paul

No comments: