Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The appearance of godliness

One great tragedy in the church is the person who has the appearance of godliness but denies its power. They look forgiven, gifted, and faithful but they are not. Persecution reveals the truth when they run like a hireling shepherd. Times of difficulty reveal the truth when all those characteristics from 2 Timothy 3:2-4 come out instead of the power of godliness. These are outward characteristics that all can see but what about the inside where it starts? Inwardly they deny the power of godliness. They honestly deny the need to be forgiven of sins. They honestly deny the power of Christ to forgive and redeem. They honestly deny the power of the Spirit to strengthen and guide. THe refiner's fire reveals the truth.

Father, please my God do not let me be someone who has the appearance of godliness but deny its power. May my crucifixion with Christ be true and always on my mind. May I live by faith in Christ. May my life count and my salvation be sure in Him. Do not let me run from persecution but endure in difficulty. Christ is my treasure; the hope of my life. Your word is my powerful teacher; the lamp to my feet. Train me and use me I pray.

In Jesus' Name
Amen

No comments: