Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Paul knew what Jeroboam didn't

I'm not referring to the work of Christ specifically but the contentment of trusting in God. In Philippians 4 Paul wrote, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me." He had learned to trust the sovereign God who gave what was needed. Paul understood at times what was needed were difficulties and trials which exposed and strengthened the heart. Jeroboam was worried about losing his kingdom. He was more concerned about his earthly stuff than he was concerned about his heavenly Father. Paul trusted and obeyed; Jeroboam did not.

Heavenly Father, the One to whom belongs all honor and glory forever and ever amen. I pray for contentment in You. I pray for my church that You would give us a deep hunger for Christ and provide for us a lasting satisfaction in Him. Do not let me get wrapped up in keeping what I perceive as my kingdom. Do not the church be concerned about keeping their kingdoms. Instead, may we joyfully serve and faithfully give so that Your kingdom would advance. Give us true contentment in Christ so that no matter the plenty or lack we will trust in Christ who gives us strength.

In His Name
Amen

No comments: