Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Approved Workmen are Not Ashamed

2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

I am currently at a loss concerning the BGCT and their recent decisions and apparent lack of a biblical foundation. Take a moment to read again 2 Timothy 2 thinking about the BGCTs decision to hire the first woman to lead our affiliation of churches. What you may not know is that yesterday I introduced a resolution to the resolution committee that the Convention stand against Open Theism. I was told that the resolution would not go to the floor for vote because, in essence, it's too controversial. It is a sad day when it is too controversial for the BGCT to stand together and say, "We affirm God's exact and exhaustive knowledge of all future actions of his creation." Really? It is too controversial for us to say, "I may not know what the future holds but I know who holds the future"?

It seems our convention is caught up in civilian affairs and not competing by the rules. Youthful passions chasing after whatever is novel, controversies, and quarrels seem to be everywhere.

Father, make us approved workmen who rightly handle Your word of truth. Make us a convention that returns to the gospel and the absolute truth of Scripture. Do not let us get mired down in controversies or irreverent babble. Focus on Scripture, God's special revelation to us. I do not want to engage in struggles or stir emotions. I want Christ to be honored by my desires, words, and deeds. I want to endure and I want the Convention to endure but if we do not return to the total authority of Scripture over all of life we have no reason to believe we will endure. Father, no matter what happens I will trust in You because no matter if we are faithless I will look to Christ because He is faithful. The Gospel is not bound. I will trust in You. I will yet praise You because You are my God.

For Christ,
Amen

No comments: