Wednesday, July 25, 2007

But the word of God increased

Ephraim gets his feelings hurt, Gideon makes an idol, the people make Baal-berith their god, James the brother of John is martyred, Peter is arrested, miraculously released, and flees Jerusalem, and still the word of God increased and multiplied. If God's love depended on our faithfulness then there clearly would be no love. Our sin and the trials of this world would gradually loosen our grip on God. That's the mercy and grace of God. His love for us does not depend on the strength of our grip on Him. True, we are told to cling to God but this clinging is in response to and because of His great love and grip on us. We cling to God because Gold clings to us; it will never work the other way around.

My God, I thank you this morning for the testimony of Your faithfulness to your faithless and struggling people. I thank you for this testimony because often I consider myself in the camp of the faithless and struggling. Fill me today with wonder because of Your steadfast love. Fill me today with awe because of the great things You do and have done. Number me among those who offer up earnest prayers to You. You did great things to establish Your people and Your church; You sent Your Son to die. Father, for the sake of Your name and the name of Jesus do great things in Mambrino. Use us my King to glorify the name of Jesus.

Through Him
Amen

No comments: