Friday, July 27, 2007

A return to boldness

If you've spent much time in the church you've probably heard someone talk about getting back to the way the 1st church did things. Usually that a reference to devotion to the Apostle's teaching and prayer or caring sacrificially for each other's needs. What often gets overlooked, however, is the repetition of boldness.

Acts 14:3 So they remained for a long time, speaking boldly for the Lord, who bore witness to the word of his grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

The early church was ready to speak. They knew God and they knew His Word. They had walked with Christ and they knew what it was to be changed by the Spirit. Based on their knowledge and daily walk with the holy Triune God they opened their mouths to speak truth and to do so with boldness. Where is our boldness? It is connected to our relationship with God. Where our relationship with God suffers so will our boldness. When our relationship with God grows so will our boldness. With eyes wide open we need to realize that boldness often brings an increase in the church and an increase in persecution.

Father, meet with me. As I humble myself and pray to You, my Creator, meet with me. Send Your Spirit to make my heart burn as I read of Jesus. Make Your Word a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Give me boldness and give me direction. Cleanse me of my sin and fill up my weaknesses that I may be useful to You. I want to live for You. I want to make You known. I want people to be changed and Your church to grow. Do not let me be like the Israelites who traded You for false gods. Make me like Paul and Barnabas who when the people tried to worship as false gods pointed the people to You. Make Your church bold.

Make Your church like Your Son
Amen

No comments: