Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Righteous and kind

After reading the list of kings Moses defeated and killed with the addition of the 31 kings Joshua defeated and killed Psalm 145 takes on much more meaning. When we consider the fact that it was not just kings who were killed but soldiers, fathers, mothers, children, the elderly, and infants it makes me cringe. Why God? Why the children? Why the babies?

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works. 18 The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. 19 He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them. 20 The Lord preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.

Father, I want to understand You. I want to understand your ways not so I can defend You but so that I may know You. I want to see Your righteousness and Your kindness but there are times that I struggle. Times in my own life and times throughout history. Remove from me my tendency to set up other ways of salvation. Do not let me justify sin and rebellion in anyone at anytime in history. Replace that with a passion for proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ to every man, woman, boy, and girl. May the end of the wicked never appear normal or satisfying to me but always as cause to press on in prayer, service, and evangelism. Help me to understand You, proclaim Christ, and serve the world.

Amen

No comments: