Monday, September 24, 2007

Examine Yourselves

Are you in the faith? Am I in the faith? How can I tell? Let's use our Old Testament reading for some insight. From 2 Samuel 20 we have the test of following the king. Do you want to rule yourself or do you want to be ruled by the king? In 2 Samuel the test of belonging to Israel was following the true king David. For us today the test of being a Christian is following the true King Jesus. Like Amasa do we disobey? Like Sheba do we revolt? Do we do what is right (2 Cor 13:7)? Do we go on sinning against the truth or do we seek to obey the truth (verse 8). Just as in Old Testament days there is a severity at times in the use of authority. We do not spill out entrails or lope off people's heads. Instead there are warnings, removal of members, and both of these only when the evidence is established by two or three witnesses. And in all of these we are seeking restoration. We are seeking the restoration of the individual and the restoration of God's Kingdom.

Are you in the faith? We're not looking for perfection in ourselves. We are looking for a love for Christ that drives us to consistently seek obedience to Him. When we fail, when we sin, we repent. Do not look for sinlessness in yourself. Look for true repentance. Aim for restoration in all spheres of life because of the work of Jesus Christ and His presence in you.

Change my heart O God, make it ever true. Change my heart O God, may I be like You. Gracious and merciful Father, You are the Potter and I am the clay. Mold me and make me so that I reflect to my wife, children, church and world, the image of Christ. Give me honesty as I examine myself to see if I am in the faith. Do not let me run from the duty to search my own heart according to Your commands. Father, stir up Your church. Make us a people who rejoice. Make us a people who aim for restoration, comfort one another, and agree with one another. Give us Your peace and make us a people who live in Your peace. I want you to be with me and with us. I want Christ to be worshiped and exalted in us. Not just in word but in deed, expand the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ in us. Expand Your love in us. Teach us to seek and live in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. God please move in Your church.

In Christ's name
Amen

No comments: