Wednesday, September 19, 2007

How to give

Everybody and every church wants us to give. Do you understand that God calls us to give? But how are we to do that without growing bitter or resentful toward others in need or toward others who won't give?

"they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us" (2 Cor 8:5).

Right giving does not start by understanding all that we have been given belongs to God. Right giving starts by understanding all that we are has been give to us by God (1 Cor 4:7). God does not call us to give a portion of our stuff. God does not call us to give all our stuff. God calls us to give ourselves first to Him and then by His will to others. It is a God honoring thing to give out of our abundance to others. It is a work of the Spirit to give ourselves to others.

Father, break my love and attachment to this world. Forgive me for wasting myself and what You have given me on things that will not last. Teach me what I know, may I take it to heart. I am not my own but You bought me with the life and blood of Jesus Christ. I want to honor You with all that I am and all that I have. Help me Father to honor You. Help me to no longer live for myself but for Christ who loves me and gave Himself for me.

For Christ my Redeemer
Amen

No comments: