Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The king no one wanted

Today we meet King Jehoram of Judah. His life is a lesson in how to be a person no one likes. First, kill all your family. We're not quite so drastic so we just verbally wound and run off everyone around us who is a perceived threat. Next, Jehoram was a poor leader and military commander. In order not to be liked its a good idea to run everything into the ground. Then, Jehoram set up idols and places to worship false gods. Leading people to hell is ultimately not the best way to care for and look after your family and friends. Finally, abandon God. Jehoram turned his back on God and tasted the earthly discipline for that act. The gut wrenching thing (no pun intended) about Jehoram is that his suffering isn't over; his suffering only just began.

Father, You are the One who holds the four angels at bay. By Your word and Your wisdom they go and stay. Your power is magnificent. Use me today and the rest of my days in a way that reflects Your power. You defeated sin and death through Christ and His glorious resurrection. Nothing is too big for You. Make me useful today. Make me a plant in your kingdom that yields a great harvest of fruit. I want to see people saved. I want to see people changed. I want to see people invigorated by Your glory and honor. I want to see people come to know Jesus Christ. Use me today.

In Christ's name
Amen

No comments: