Friday, June 22, 2007

Amazed by the repeated command to rejoice

This has not been my first time to read through Deuteronomy but it is clearly the first time the Spirit has shown me the repeated call by God to rejoice in Him.

Deuteronomy 27:7 and you shall sacrifice peace offerings and shall eat there, and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God.

God wants us to experience great joy in Him. He wants us to be pleased with who He is and what He does. God desires us to desire Him. God wants to satisfy us with His presence and the glory of His Son. Our reading from the Psalms gives a concrete way to taste this joy.

Psalm 119:14 In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.

God's words, His testimonies, are not dead letters on cold pages. God's testimonies are channels of delight. We are so disconnected, however, from God's word that it is blows our minds that God's word can produce as much joy as more money to get more stuff.

Lord, show us today the truth that in your testimonies there is joy. Keep speaking to me. Keep showing me from Your word that You are the surest source of joy. Help my brothers and sisters in Christ to see it. Make me a walking testimony to the glory and satisfaction of Your presence. Give me strength to seek You. Give me wisdom to order my days so that I actually seek Your presence. Help me God. Show me Christ. Satisfy my soul.

Amen

No comments: