Friday, June 01, 2007

The 10 Boundaries

I try to say often in my preaching that God did not give us a bunch of rules that keep us from having fun. We can be tempted to think God is a prude so he simply exists to squash all our fun, thus the 10 commandments. 10 fun things God doesn't want us to do.

But really these are 10 boundaries. If true and full joy is found with God then these 10 commandments are 10 ways to keep us on the path of joy. God's commandments are meant to keep us from messing up our relationship with him. God's laws, instead of decreasing our joy, increase our joy.

Great Father, train my heart today to obey you for the joy of it. How I thank you that Christ fulfilled the law; that he is perfectly obedient to every command. I thank you for him because I have been given his righteousness. I have, by faith, been given his perfect obedience. Lord, I want to be like Christ. You have given me a new heart, you have given me Christ's righteousness, and Lord I want to live in a way that pleases you. Help me to memorize Scripture. Bring your Word to my mind throughout my day. Because of Christ I have been made righteous for eternity. Lord, I pray that you will make me useful to you every day.

In Christ's name
Amen

No comments: