Thursday, May 31, 2007

Watch yourself carefully

To put it in the words of 90's pop culture, "Ya betta check yo self before ya wreck yo self." On the edge of the Promised Land God repeats the warning to be careful and watch one's obedience.

Observe [My commandments] carefully- Deut 4:6
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely- Deut 4:9
Watch yourselves very carefully- Deut 4:15
Be careful not to forget the covenant- Deut 4:23
Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other. Keep his decrees and commands- Deut 4:39&40a

Knowing God is intricately tied to obeying God. Obeying God is intricately tied to joy in God. Joy in God far exceeds any other joy we taste on this earth. I had forgotten the richness of Deuteronomy 4 and I hope to spend more time in that chapter today. I pray it encouraged you and that you make an effort to read it again today section by section thinking about what God says.

My great King, thank you for reminding me today not to drift through life coasting on grace. Give me an undivided heart so that I may fear your name. God I want to praise you with my life. I want to glorify your name forever. Forgive me for not watching myself. Forgive me for presuming on your grace and thinking that because you are compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love I don't have to care about you or your ways. I see this life in my Brother and Savior Jesus Christ. Cover me in His righteousness. Forgive me by his sacrifice. Guide me to know and glorify him. Give me grace to watch myself and a desire to obey your commands.

Give me Christ's heart
Amen

No comments: