Monday, May 07, 2007

A Sabbath breaker executed

When we compare the sins and punishments of Numbers 15 and Psalm 51 the differences are striking. In Numbers 15 a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath is stoned to death by the congregation. In Psalm 51 a man who committed adultery and murder is forgiven. No prophet is sent to the Sabbath breaker. On the day he committed his sin he was brought forth for judgment. Nathan visited David and possibly a number of months past by before this confrontation.

What are we to make of this? God is a God of wrath and God is a God of mercy. No one has the right to presume on God and God will not be forced into the confines of our sense of right and wrong. He knew the Sabbath breaker's heart and He knew David's heart.

He knows your heart.

Lord, grant us repentance. May we hate the gathering of sticks as well as the breaking of the marriage covenant. Do not let me wink at sin. Forgive me for playing fast and loose with your mercy. I do not want to sin against you. My God, I fear the potential for evil that lies within me. I know what I am capable of and I pray you will continue to shape me, correct me, and forgive me. Broken before You I cry out for grace. I am a man who is in need of mercy. I am a man who is in need of Christ my great High Priest. Purify my conscience with His blood. Accept me into Your presence by His righteousness. Forgive me my Father.

In Christ
Amen

No comments: