Thursday, May 17, 2007

In over my head

In Psalm 69 David confesses he is in over his head. He's in up to his neck. He can't get a foothold. When the waves come they cover his head. His throat is raw calling for help. His eyes are strained looking for God. People accuse him wrongly and he is wrongly punished.

But he has hope.

Clearly, his hope is in God and not in looking religious and being heralded as religious. It seems that everything he does is viewed negatively. Zeal for God's house, weeping, fasting, repentance, and the like are mocked instead of supported. Would you continue? Would you pray to God not with anger but with trust? Call out to God for rescue and call out to God for strength.

Strong Father, give me Your strength. May I stand for You when all others abandon You and make fun of me. Show me what it is to live for You in spite of all difficulty. I don't want to be a fair weather Christian. I don't want to be weak or a wimp. I want to have faith that is useful to You and effective in Your church. I want to fight the good fight. I want to raise up a godly family. I want to love a godly wife. I want to be used to strengthen others who are faltering. Make me like Christ. Make me more like my Savior.

For Christ
Amen

No comments: