Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Horrified at the wrong thing

As I sat at the breakfast table with my huge cup of coffee and bowl of cheerios I could not help but be horrified as I read Numbers 31. How could God command such a thing? "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him" (Num 31:17). 1 year old baby boys the same age as my daugther who loves to hang onto the table and smile at me as I type? Horror.

My sin blinds me but when I put my hand over my mouth and listen God speaks.

"But it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down in the dregs. But I will declare forever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob. All the horns of the wicked I will cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up" (Psalm 75:7-10).

I do not have the right to pass judgment on God. But, I do have the right to have my throat slit along with the people of Midian. When I shut up I realize what side I should be on and it's not the side that wins. God executes judgment and that is what I deserve.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this, while we were still sinners Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him?" (Romans 5:8&9).

Gracious and strong Father, teach me today of Jesus the one who took my punishment and drank the foaming wine of your wrath on me. Teach me today of your great love for a great sinner. May I walk in new life. May I encourage others to do the same. Help me speak of the new life of Christ. Help me to live the new life of Christ. I don't want to be on Midian's side. I want to be on Christ's side. Save me from my sin and deliver me from your wrath. Join me to Jesus.

Amen

No comments: