Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Cloud

I may be the only one but I struggle sometimes with the way God did things in the Old Testament and how He does things today. I'm not talking about the wrath/grace issue. I'm talking about guidance. Today, we read in Numbers 9 concerning the cloud of God's glory that covered the tabernacle. When it was time to move the cloud moved. When it was time to stop the cloud stopped. I think, "wouldn't that be great!?!"

Think about life's decisions: Who do I marry? The girl with the cloud over her. Where do I work? The place with the cloud. Who do I share the gospel with? The guy with the cloud. Do I go right or do I go left? Well, where is the cloud? It may sound a little silly but we need to know why there is no more cloud.

Many passages in Scripture speak to this issue but I will give you two that I think are the most helpful in answering this question and living our lives. It's Easter Sunday at the tomb:

Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God’ ” (John 20:16&17. ESV)

Then from John 14

15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:15-17. ESV)

Do I want a relationship with the Father, Son, and Spirit or do I just want answers? Do I realize the riches that are in Christ and that those riches are given by the Spirit's enlightenment? The tabernacle is gone. The cloud no longer goes here and moves there. But the Spirit will be with us forever. He will not just be with us He will be in us.

God, teach me today what it is to know the Holy Spirit. Show me how He is my helper. Jesus told Mary not to cling to him because he must ascend. With that ascension came the sending of the Spirit. Do not let me wander into error as I seek to know Him. The dangers of denying the Spirit's power and sensationalizing His work are before me. Do not let me miss the blessings of relationship with Him because I am too afraid of error. Let me see Him. Let me know Him. As your child He dwells with me and by Him I cry out to You as my Father. Father, teach me today to know Your Spirit.

Amen

No comments: