Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Finding joy

Yesterday's psalm as well as today's answer the question: How do I find joy?

The world tells us that joy comes when people make much of us. I'm happy when my spouse does nice things for me. I'm happy when my boss pats me on the back or acknowledges me before my peers. I experience joy when people compliment my house, car, hair, body, yard, clothes, 4wheeler, children, or anything at all. We scream each morning, "MAKE MUCH OF ME" and then we'll be happy.

Psalm 84:10, "For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness."

This gives me truth that is so hard for me to grasp in our pampered self-centered society: Having God is finding joy, not having stuff. What's the problem then? My sin separates me from God; the source of all joy.

Psalm 85:4-7, "Restore us again, O God of our salvation, and put away your indignation toward us! Will you be angry with us forever? Will you prolong your anger to all generations? Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your steadfast love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation."

Sovereign God, give me back what I have neglected and ignored. Restore me God from my shame and shallow pursuit of self-love. Open my eyes to the ways I manipulate people into loving me. Open my eyes that I may see how to love people the way you love people. Forgive me of my pride which makes me think I'm justified in my self-love. Increase my appetite. Do not let me be satisfied with me and with people loving me. Place in me a hunger to know you and know what it is to be loved by you. May your love be sweeter to me than the love of my wife. May your love be sweeter to me than the love of my daughter. Restore me God. Put away your anger toward me. Revive me so that I may truly and abundantly rejoice in you. Show me your steadfast love, O Lord, and grant me your salvation.

Show me the glories of your Son and his sacrifice
Amen

No comments: