Saturday, May 12, 2007

Give me Jesus or I will die

John 3:16 is defined not by lifting banners at football games but by lifting a bronze serpent on a pole.

"14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life”  (Jn 3:14&15).

Believing in Jesus is not just a matter of admitting that he lived, died, and rose again. Believing in Jesus is understanding that without Jesus there is no life only death. It's saying, "If I don't get to Jesus then I will die. I've been biten by sin and it's venom pulses through my body and soul. The only cure is Christ. Give me Jesus or I will die."

Imagine a man biten by the snake, feeling it's pain, and knowing his coming death. With the intensity of a bull in a china closet he would fight to get to the bronze serpent. Why do we not act like this with Jesus? We don't understand the surety and totality of our deaths outside of him. We don't understand the fullness of life found in him. We don't talk this way. We don't live this way. We don't preach this way. We don't pray this way. Things need to change.

Lord, teach me to want Jesus like a dying man would want the bronze serpent in the wilderness. I complain about things in the church that are miniscule because I don't understand the real problem. The problem is not the preaching, schedule, or music. The problem is I'm dying and do not know it. Lord, show Your church the surety of death. May we feel on Saturday the fear of imminent death so that we can feel on Sunday the joy of salvation. Speak to me about my sin. Convince me of my death. Tune my heart to sing your praise and to lift Christ up over all things.

I want Jesus!
Amen

No comments: