Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Men's Ministry Old Testament Style

Numbers 25:4&5: And the Lord said to Moses, “Take all the chiefs of the people and hang them in the sun before the Lord, that the fierce anger of the Lord may turn away from Israel.” 5 And Moses said to the judges of Israel, “Each of you kill those of his men who have yoked themselves to Baal of Peor.”

What happened in Numbers 25 is so foreign to us today and shocking to say the least. It sounds initially more like Islam than Judaism. But times then were different because the battle was different. Then the battle was between nations and for land. God was setting up His people in their land while punishing sin. Now the battle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers and authoirities that stand in opposition to Christ and in kahoots with this world. It's not that there no longer is a battle to fight but that we don't care enough to fight in it. Though the sword of choice is different the battle is still about sin and God's people.

Lord, give me a heart that cares about the spiritual condition of others. May I fight with the sword of the Spirit and not the sword of steel. Give me a concern for what others believe and use me to bring others to Christ. I want to fight the good fight for Christ. Make me strong. Give me endurance. Give me your spiritual insight. Raise up a band of brothers who will fight for souls by giving our lives for others. May the only death be the death to self. May the only life be life in Your Son. Show through me the power of the cross and the promise of the empty tomb.

For Christ
Amen

No comments: