Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Valuing the seen over the unseen

There are several aspects to an idol that are appealing for worship. If this wasn't the case people wouldn't make an idol and we wouldn't need the 2nd commandment. One reason I believe idol worship is so attractive is because you can immediately find and touch the idol. Ask an idol worshipper where his god is and he can take you right to it. When an idol worshipper gets hurt she can go and gling to her idol with both hands in her pain.

But with God we must have faith. He is not seen. The Father was displayed through the Son but we no longer see Him face to face. The Spirit points us to the Son but we do not see Him with our eyes. These truths remind us that faith is not something we do one time when we first believe. Instead, faith is something we do every day. Prayer is a work of faith- God has ears and wants to listen. Obedience is a work of faith- God has desires and this deed fulfills those desires. Worship is a work of faith- God is worthy of my praise because He is real.

God in heaven, speak to us today. I have faith that You are real and really speak. Make Your Word come alive to me today. Send Your Spirit to me so that Scripture will be more than another book. Make it Your book that is alive and active. The Spirit does that in me, I believe it, so please send Him. But Lord I also know that You are not a god that I can manipulate. You cause the sea to flea, the Jordan to turn back, mountains to skip like rams, and the earth to tremble simply by being God. Your presence is a wonderful thing. Show me Your wonder that I may desire it and so that I will share Your wonder with others. Lord, not to us but to You and Your Son belong the glory.

Glorify the name of Christ in me
Amen

No comments: