Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How big is your god?

Deuteronomy 32:39 “See now that I, even I, am he,and there is no god beside me;I kill and I make alive;I wound and I heal;and there is none that can deliver out of my hand."

It often amazes me when I compare how unashamed the bible is in reference to God's control over both good and evil and how ashamed many Christians are in reference to God's control over both good and evil. In Sunday School classes, in prayer meetings, and over coffee people try to console each other with words like, "God had nothing to do with this." But Scripture speaks different words of consolation. It is no surprise then that many in our churches find no rest for their souls.

Strong Father, show us today how big You are. Help us to honestly read Your Word as You intended instead of trying to find pet verses to defend our wrong views of You. May we be more concerned about knowing You than defending You. I join with the Psalmist in praying:

137 Righteous are you, O Lord,and right are your rules. 138 You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness. 139 My zeal consumes me, because my foes forget your words. 140 Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. 141 I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts. 142 Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true. 143 Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight. 144 Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.

Lord, we truly are small and despised in this world but Your righteousnes is righteous forever and your law is true. Give me understanding that I may life. Give me zeal for Your glory, Your truth, and above all for Your Son. May I never forget what Christ has done and the amazing grace that He provides. Increase my understanding of You. Increase my zeal for You that it, instead of my worries, may consume me.

Desiring You and desiring Christ
Amen

No comments: