Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Sorry for the absence this week; I have been at the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in San Antonio. Let's pick up with what matters most- pursuing God in Christ through the Word!

At the foundation of Israel's sin is this statement from Psalm 106:20, "They exchanged the glory of God for the image of an ox that eats grass." They would rather worship a nice looking piece of metal in the form of a dumb ox than worship God. They would rather ascribe greatness to a statue than ascribe greatness to God. How often do we do the same? We are quick to praise a good meal, a stellar athlete, or a well delivered sermon but we are slow to offer praise to God. Praise comes easy when we get what we want. So, why is praise to God so hard? Because what He offers we do not want. He gives us Himself. He offers a relationship with the Father, Son, and Spirit. He spreads out a table so that we might eat with and rejoice in Him. But we'd rather not.

My God, tune my heart to sing Your praise. My heart is prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Here's my heart, Lord take and seal it. Seal it for thy courts above. Do not let me walk in the path of the Israelites who were repeatedly rebellious in their desires. Make Christ my city of refuge. My sin has been intentional and that means there is no hope for me on this earth. I deserve to be turned over to You for punishment but when I think of Christ's cross I see my punishment. He is my city of refuge because he has taken my place under Your strong wrath. He is my city of refuge because he gives me his righteousness. Through the blood of the cross I join the Psalmist in singing.

47 Save us, O Lord our God,and gather us from among the nations,that we may give thanks to your holy nameand glory in your praise. 48 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,from everlasting to everlasting!And let all the people say, “Amen!”Praise the Lord!

No comments: