Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I will never leave you nor forsake you

At crucial times in Israel's history the rich promise of God, "I will never leave you nor forsake you," was repeated. Here as Moses prepares the people for his death the promise is repeated. As Joshua prepares the people to enter into battle for the Promised Land the promise is repeated (Joshua 1:6&7). As David nears death and prepares Solomon to lead the lead the people and build the temple the promise is repeated (1 Chronicles 22:13). But this promise is not found only in the Old Testament; it is quoted in the book of Hebrews.

Hebrews 13:5&6 "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' 6 So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'”

God's wonderful promise to the Hebrew people as they prepared to follow Him through new stages of redemption history is also God's wonderful promise to us as we follow Him every day. God's promise is that we do not need money; what we have is enough. Now, that can be a hard pill to swallow if you do not understand the amazing blessing of God's presence. If you've never seen "the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Cor 4:6) then I am sure it is impossible for you to keep your life free from love of money and you are anything but content with what you have. Those who have seen the glory of Jesus live differently because they see life differently. We understand that the most glorious thing on this earth is not something money can buy or financial security can keep. The most glorious thing on this earth is the face of Jesus Christ and the promise that once you see Him, He will never leave you or forsake you. And if we have Jesus and that promise the threats of man are empty and worthless.

Jesus, show me Your glory today. Stand forth from Your word that I may behold Your splendor. Satisfy my desires and organize my priorities to reflect Your worth. I am not content with riding the theological coat-tails of those who have gone before. I do not want to just know what they knew; I want to know You. I pray for Your Church. Raise up men and women who want to know You. Crush our attempts at theology without devotion to You. Frustrate all our energies if work is not completed with the desire to know You and make You known. I want to be a man who walks with You and I want to guide Your people to be happy in You. Show me how today. Show me Christ.

Amen

No comments: