Thursday, November 29, 2007

David's Census

1 Chronicles 27:23-24, "David did not count those below twenty years of age, for the Lord had promised to make Israel as many as the stars of heaven. 24 Joab the son of Zeruiah began to count, but did not finish. Yet wrath came upon Israel for this, and the number was not entered in the chronicles of King David."

I knew the census David took was sinful because of the clear teaching of Scripture. But at the same time I didn't know exactly why it was; that it was disobedience was obvious the kind of disobedience was not. 1 Chronicles 27 gives us the kind of disobedience involved in the census sin. When David began counting he did so on the basis that the people could be counted. The people were not like the stars of heaven or the sand of the sea. David's counting revealed his understanding that God was not faithful to his promises.

Before we judge David as the only one who has ever committed sin of this type we must realize that every sin is sin of this type. Every sin is committed because of the belief, either conscious or unconscious, that God is not faithful. Some sin is committed because we do not believe God will take care of us. Some sin is committed because we believe we know better. Some sin is committed because we believe our way and not God's way will bring us joy. We could go on and on. Fundamentally sin is unbelief.

2 Peter 1:1-2, "To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: 2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord."

Faith is obtained through the rightousness of Jesus Christ. As our knoweldge of God the Father and God the Son increases so will our grace and peace. Fundamentally faith comes through the righteousness of Christ.

My Lord and Master, I have no righteousness of my own I claim only the righteousness of Christ. Teach me about You my God so that grace and peace will increase in You. I do not want to be a man of unbelief. I do not want to be tossed about by every doctrine of man. I want to hold fast to Christ the steadfast and sure anchor of the soul. Show me Christ's righteousness. Show me Christ's obedience. Show me Christ's sacrifice for me. I want to be forgiven and I want to be faithful. I confess this morning and forever that forgiveness and faithfulness comes only through Christ. Give me faith and help my unbelief.

Through Christ
Amen

No comments: