Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why all those names?

Why do we have those lists of names in the Bible? Why all the genealogies?

God is the God of the nations. God is the God with a plan to restore all things through Christ Jesus. The genealogies point to the God of the nations and the God with a purpose. The lists of names show God's handy work and they show God's specific action. God is calling out for himself a people from every tribe, tongue, and nation who will worship Him through the blood of His Son; the Son who is the bearer of a better covenant.

Father, You have truly done great things. And You have done great things through Christ the God-man and through a list of oridnary men and women. Thank You for being involved in this world and in my life. Thank You for not abandoning me in my sin but sending Christ to redeem me. Thank You for not abandoning the nations but instead you sent Christ to be the King of all nations. Show me today what it is to live in the days of the better covenant. Show me Your glory shining through the nations as they worship the King.

In Jesus' Name
Amen

No comments: