Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Faith, Works, and Justification

James 2:17, "So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead."

James 2:24, "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone."

As I read and live life two different approaches to the Christian life are becoming more prevalent. One approach seeks to define everything about Christianity to the smallest most microscopic degree. For these people Christianity is cut and dry, the different aspects always color inside the lines, and life is like a white long-sleeve button down with heavy starch straight from the cleaners.

The other approach doesn't want to define anything. If you define something you will kill it or worse than that, the church would require it. Christianity here is vague and doctrine doesn't matter. For these people Christianity is nebulus, the different aspects should not be defined, and life is like a college student perpetually living out of his dirty clothes hamper. If it doesn't stink too badly spray some cologne and if it does then just give it time to air out.

Christianity is neither a sterile laboratory nor is Christianity a filthy dorm room. We must define what Scripture defines and we must define it the way Scripture defines it. That's our struggle with faith, works, and justification. We want them to be simple. We do not want them to overlap. But this is not possible.

Faith is believing. I believe God is who He says He is and God will do what He says He will do. This is seen clearly in trusting in the work of Christ but faith does not end at conversion. Christ is my sacrifice; faith believes that. God demands the death penalty of me and Christ has paid with His life what God demands of me. Faith is also believing that Christ is my righteousness. God demands perfect obedience of me and Christ has paid with His life what God demands of me. Christ fulfills what God requires of my life. Christ fulfills what God requires become of my sin. Faith holds eternally to these truths.

Works are the response of a new heart. Works do not produce a new heart. A new heart produces works. Faith that does not produce works is dead because the heart is dead, it is a faithless stone. Do you claim to have faith? Prove it, show me the difference faith makes. Faith made a difference to Abraham. Faith made a difference to Rahab. And this difference came in the Old Testament dispensation.

Now, to justification. With the recent and prevalent attempt to redefine justification the response on many fronts is to define justification so clearly that it is water-tight and impenetrable. So, justification becomes legal declaration and only a legal declaration. It becomes a pronouncement outside of us based on works outside of us and it has little to no influence inside of us. But if a person is justified by works and not by faith alone it becomes clear that this category falls short. Justification IS a legal pronouncement by God on us based on the work of Christ. Because of Christ's perfect life and atoning sacrifice we are rightly declared and practically are not guilty. Faith rests in Christ's work and God's pronoucement. Works reflect our new heart's desire to honor Christ. Logically there is an order: faith, justification, works. Practically we cannot discern a difference or demand progression through verfiable stages.

Father, give me balance in life that honors You and stays always faithful to the work of Christ and the truth of Scripture. Strengthen my faith. Grow my understanding of what it means to be justified. May my life, the work of my hands, reflect true faith and Your righteous pronoucement over me. Do not let me make excuses. Use me to make disciples. Do not let me avoid Your demands. Through Christ may I fulfill Your demands.

In Jesus' Name
Amen

No comments: