Thursday, August 09, 2007

Christ our Redeemer

Unfortunately, the story of Ruth and Boaz has been made out only as a romantic love story of faithfulness, hard work, blessing, and a happy ending. As far as this goes it is true. But it does not go far enough. Boaz is adding depth to the picture of what will one day be the Messiah. Boaz is not just a caring redeemer of his relative. Boaz is on Old Testament image of what the Christ will be. Ruth is not just a woman who loves her mother in law and picks grain. She is a woman caught in a time when she desperately needs help. She needs another to care for her and do for her what she cannot do for herself. Though she may work hard it is not enough. She needs a redeemer.

Father, as I read of Ruth and Boaz teach me about Jesus. Do not let me romantize a story that it meant to teach truth about Christ. Show me and Your church how desperately we need a redeemer. Show me how much I need Jesus to do for me what I cannot do for myself. Thank You Father for my Christ. Thank You for faithfulness, obedience, worship, love, and complete unfaltering devotion to Your will. You have given me a Redeemer. You have given me Life.

In His name
Amen

No comments: