Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Weird, Strange Even

Often the Bible leaves me with my jaw on the floor. Even passages I have read previously shock me again when I return to them. That's the case for Judges 21. They killed all the available women for Benjamin and they had vowed not to give Benjamin their daughters. This created a problem. The solution? We'll go kill the men and women of another town taking the virgins for Benjamin. When that doesn't fill the need? Go and snatch young girls while they dance in a festival. When their families get ticked we'll tell them to be gracious to us because we killed all the other available women. Don't worry either, because we know you swore an oath not to have your daughters marry into the tribe of Benjamin but you did not give them Benjamin took them. You are not guilty of anything wrong.

The fundamental principle of interpreting the book of Judges is the repeated statement, "Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." What the Bible describes is far from being prescribed. What is right in man's eyes and justified in man's mind is not necessarily right. The overarching lesson to be learned from Judges is we cannot trust our hearts. We cannot trust the collective 'wisdom' of the people. We must humbly subject ourselves to the word of God, the Scripture. We are so often guilty subjecting Scripture to ourselves when we respond, "that can't be what that says" or "I've never heard that before" meaning, that can't be right and I must be right. May we humble ourselves and submit to God.

Father, Your word is from You. It is not born of man's wisdom or the product of his thought. God I know it is Your wisdom and the product of Your thought. Since it is from You it is different from me. It is pure and I am not. It is true and I am not. Sanctify me by Your truth; Your word is truth. May I understand Scripture the way Christ did. May I honor and seek to live according to Scripture the way Christ did. In my disobedience give me forgiveness and credit to me Christ's obedience. In my foolishness give me grace and Christ's wisdom. In my pride wash me and give me Christ's humility. Show me today how Your word must shape my life. Show Christ to me today through Your word.

By His blood
Amen

No comments: