Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Scum of the World

1 Corinthians 4:9-13 For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men. 10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. 11 To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, 12 and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; 13 when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.

This passage is difficult if you are a pastor or ministering faithfully and seeing little results except for opposition or indifference. We can begin to see our weakness, disrepute, poverty, labor, persecution, slander, and lowliness in the world's eye as a red badge of courage. We begin to glory in our shame. I must preach to myself and you must preach to yourself that it is not our sacrifice which makes us something special. It is Christ's sacrifice that makes us something special. I have not known the weakness, disrepute, poverty, labor, persecution, slander, and lowliness that Christ knew. Christ has a PhD with years of experience in these areas. I am only a little brother who watches his big brother go off to preschool. I know very little of these things though at times I want to label myself a master. Do not trust in yourself. Do not glory in your pain. Instead, trust in Christ. Instead, glory in your Redeemer; the one whom the world knows as the refuse of all things, the scum of the world.

Father, I thank You for Your grace through which I have been given eyes to see the glory and value of Jesus Christ. What He has done for me is indescribable and the world could not contain the pages of words of thanks to do 1/2 justice to His great work. Father, I do at times feel my weakness, disrepute, poverty, labor, persecution, slander, and lowliness. May You use those moments to point me to Christ who is my strength and great wealth. Focus my mind on Christ who alone exalts and makes new. Do not let me run from my lowliness. Do not let me deny my lowliness. Rather, my great God, may You teach me great things about Christ in my lowliness. Remove the wall of pride Your church has built. Remove the wall of pride that I have helped to build. Give us humility. Give us a desire to die for the lost.

Give us Jesus
Amen

No comments: