Friday, August 03, 2007

Micah, the Levite, and Today

In a recent conversation the topic of spiritual warfare came up. I made the comment that if Satan can tempt us with something good for a time which will lead us to even greater evil that is a price he is very willing to pay. That temptation and evil seems to be working well in Judges 17. Micah gets convicted over his sin and seeks to make it right. In response and gratitude his mother makes an idol in honor of Yahweh. Micah sets up a shrine, ordains his son, and then along comes a Levite. This Levite should have taken swift action to rectify the sinful situation but instead with the offer of a paycheck, room, and board he joins them. The end result of all this obvious sin? Verse 13, Then Micah said, “Now I know that the Lord will prosper me, because I have a Levite as priest.” I've got God's man so everything's going to be all right.

How many of us, God's men and women, have sold out or 'bent the rules' to make life more palatable or profitable? We neither speak out against what is wrong nor speak up for what is right. We do nothing thinking we're not making a contribution but our contribution is huge. By going along at work, at home, and at church we are giving a vote of approval. By doing nothing we are saying that we agree.

Father, please convict me of my sin. Bring to mind now any attitude or action that might bring dishonor to Your name. I do not want to point people away from You by being harsh or by being silent. Fill me with Your grace. Fill be with the grace purchased by Jesus Christ that I might have the boldness to point people to Jesus Christ. Shut my mouth when it needs to be shut. Open my mouth when it needs to be open. Give me the wisdom and strength to know what is proper. God, I don't want to be another Micah who sold out into sin. I want to be like the Apostle Paul who stood up for the truth no matter the hurt he incurred. I believe in Jesus who is the perfect Doer and perfect Speaker. I trust in Him to fill up my doing and my speaking. Show me Your will that I might walk in it and bring glory to Your righteous name.

In Christ
Amen

No comments: