Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday's prayer

Friday's reading- http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/one.year.tract/

Lord, Your way is always costly. The Hebrew people didn't want it. They'd rather make bricks. The idea of taking up my cross, not having a home, and leaving family is not a pleasant road. I want the light burden and the easy yoke not a cross that calls me to die and forsake all that I am and all that I have. I am self-centered like the Hebrews were. I want You to do everything and I want everything to be easy and like a party that I don't have to plan, work for, or clean up after. I want the cake but not the vegetables and that's why I'm spiritually fat; that's why I don't see Your glory. That's why I don't see You doing amazing things like feeding the 5,000 and casting out demons. In my spiritual apathy I act like the village of the Samaritans. I don't like the talk of sin. I don't like the talk of death. I don't like the talk of the cross. I just want some loaves and fish and I'll pass on the cross.

Lord, I thank You that Christ is totally different than I am. He is God-centered. He is ready to bear the cross. He is ready to die. He's ready for the painful struggle as well as the joyous victory. Christ truly does for me what I cannot do and he is for me what I cannot be. He is holy, I am not. He is obedient, I am not. He is pure, I am not. THANK YOU GOD for Jesus Christ my great high priest. Lord may my love for You increase as my knowledge of my own sin increases. As You magnify my sin may it magnify the glories of Your mercy. Cleanse me and change me in Your power.

Believing
Amen

No comments: