Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Holy Muzzle

The weapon we need is not a holy hand gernade because we do not battle a terroristic bunny. All too often our battle is one of words and we do need a muzzle. David committed in Psalm 39 to guard his ways so that he would not sin with his tongue. He promised to guard his mouth with a muzzle as long as the wicked are in his presence. We all know the temptation around particular people to speak particularly venomous words. Certain coworkers, family members, church members, and neighbors get no grace and only wrath from us. We have abundant patience with some people and zero patience with others. David saw this in himself and he saw the root- I will guard my ways. Our words in the presence of difficult people are the product of what we have been doing before we face that person. The problem is not them the problem is 'our ways.' We are selfish with our friends and we are ruthless with our families but often they do not challenge us. Then, when we get around the 'difficult' person and get challenged the venom comes out. Out of the overflow of the heart our mouths speak.

Lord, at your call to confess we confess. You have told us that when we become aware of our wrong we are to come to you openly admitting our guilt instead of covering it with fig leaves. Please do not leave me where I am. My days are short. My life is like a breath. But you give me life. By the blood of Christ do I live and by his life do I find life worth living. Show me how to live my God. Teach me about Jesus so that I won't waste what is so short. Help me Father.

Teach me to number my days so that none will be wasted
Amen

No comments: