Monday, April 02, 2007

Monday's Prayer

There is a companion book that follows our through the bible reading titled, For the Love of God, written by DA Carson. If you are interested, we are following volume 1. In the book for today's reading Carson wrote, "Here the people of God are to learn that God prescribes what is right and wrong, and that he has a right to do so; that holiness embraces all of life; that there is a distinction between the conduct of the people fo God and the conduct of the surrounding pagans, not merely a difference in abstract beliefs" (April 2).

My merciful God, you expect me to be different; holy as you are holy. You know the abundance of my sins. Even in Old Testament times you knew how quick humans are to run into intentional and unintentional sins and you provided the way of forgiveness. During Passion Week, looking to Easter Sunday, my mind cannot help but think of Christ and his perfect sacrifice. He doesn't offer himself offer and offer but once.

Along with David I pray to you because you are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. You are the one who sustains me when I am awake and when I asleep. Though my city and country cry out telling me there is no salvation for me in you I know they are wrong. I know Jesus is my salvation. Salvation belongs to you and you give it to whom ever you desire. I praise you and thank you with weak words. I wish I had better words to praise you with. You have done great things. You have atoned perfectly for my great sins. You are a great God. You are the God of righteousness.

Amen

No comments: