Monday, April 30, 2007

Hope in God

In our lives the need for encouragement is constant. I preached yesterday from Colossians 2:1-5 outlining Paul's struggle for the church and his desire for them to be encouraged. He wanted them to be encouraged precisely because they were on the verge of discouragement. There are many things we try to use to encourage each other. We may encourage children with extra play time, a later bed time, or candy. We may encourage an employee with a bonus, a raise or extra play time (like a day off). But what happens to all those things? They run out. They do not replenish themselves. They are insufficient over the long run. The reminder is repeated in Psalm 42&43, "Hope in God." Why? He is sufficient over the long run. He is perfect and complete therefore he does not run out. Hope in God this morning because he is the only sufficient ground for our hope.

My hope and my future, my Lord and my God, lead me in your light to everything I need and all that you would have me to do. Forgive me for my desire for the insufficient. Forgive me for binging on the world and then wondering why I feel empty. I am a fool in need of a teacher. I am a sinner in need of a savior. That is why I hope in you. That is why I hope in Christ. In him is the fullness of wisdom and knowledge. In Christ, the wonderful Mystery, is what I need to be saved and satisfied. Show me today how to hunger for Christ. Allow me today to be used to help others see the glories of Jesus.

You are my hope
Amen

No comments: